Which Disasters Aren't Covered?

August 23, 2019


Please note that standard homeowners and renters insurance policies do not include flood damage coverage. Separate policies for flood damage coverage are made available for both homeowners and renters, however. Both the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and select private insurers may provide separate policies for flood damage coverage. To find out whether you need flood damage coverage, and to find out how to obtain flood damage coverage, contact our team today.


Please note, like flood damage, earthquake coverage is also not included in your standard homeowners or renters insurance policies. Most insurance companies offer either a separate policy for earthquake damage or an endorsement to your homeowners or renters policy. If you wish to learn more about earthquake damage coverage, please contact our team with your questions.

Maintenance damage

Homeowners are responsible for basic maintenance of their homes. It is expected that the homeowner will take reasonable steps to prevent damage.  Damage caused by such sources as general lack of maintenance, mold, or pest infestation will not be covered by your insurer.

Sewer backup

Please note that sewer backups are not included under typical homeowners or renters insurance policies and are also not a part of flood insurance coverage.  Sewer backup coverage is available as a separate insurance policy, or as an endorsement to a homeowners policy. If you wish to learn more about sewer backup insurance you can contact Brier Grieves Insurance with your questions!

Latest Posts

Ready for a quote? Don't wait until it's too late.